Communication Technicians are responsible for the planning, coordination, installation, operation and maintenance of field network services and equipment throughout the Permian Region. Communication Technicians support Operations, in the development and maintenance of standardized installation and documentation in accordance to Apache policies. They participate in the planning and management of projects, ensuring that they are delivered on time, within budget, and within Apache IT security and network guidelines.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- This individual will work closely with the operations, automation, security, and information technology groups to understand the communication needs of the field assets.
- Adhere to all company policies, procedures and established standards.
- Adhere and actively participate in Apache’s environmental, health and safety programs and culture.
- Ensure safe practices coordinating installations of towers with contractors, including line locates through the 811 system.
- Supervise all direct report contractor activities to ensure safe work practices and the most efficient use of materials and labor.
- Must be able to complete tasks with minimal supervision.
- Use of basic knowledge of oil and gas production operations and reservoir management.
- Work with multiple departments in the development and maintenance of standardized installation and documentation in accordance to Apache policies.
- Maintain accurate documentation and inventory of communication hardware and forecast ordering needs.
- Use extensive knowledge of DC current electronics with a basic knowledge of AC current electrical systems.
- This individual shall be familiar with areal topographic analysis in support of line-of-sight (LOS) path study and assessment, as well as the technologies required to develop point-to-point and point-to-multipoint solutions for wireless field communications for both licensed and unlicensed frequencies.
- Responsible for monitoring Apache’s network infrastructure and promptly analyze, diagnose, troubleshoot and resolve network outages and network related issues. Also, to provide timely situational reports for affected groups.
- Ensure integrity of physical communication assets across the field, i.e. radio masts, remote site towers, backhaul towers, and all associated antenna gear/cabling;
- Provide communication training and support to Automation, Measurement and Well Technicians.
- Maintain proper firmware in all field communication devices.
- Knowledge of FAA filings, clearance requirements, obstruction lighting and lighting standards. Knowledge of FCC rules, regulations and filings, structure registration, and ASSE/TIA standards.
- Knowledge of 2-way radio systems, serial radio systems, microwave, and wireless system design, RF coverage analysis and microwave path design and tower site acquisition.
- Experienced in the use of Microsoft Office Suite, such as Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Visio.
- Experience and understanding of networking protocols (Ethernet, TCP/IP, wireless, networking, routing and switching).
- Determine most cost-efficient use of radio communication equipment and/or systems for production applications.
- Actively researching innovative solutions and new communication technology.
- Review, evaluate and process all related invoices correctly and in a timely manner.
- Accountable for remaining within budgeted project costs and overall reconciliation.