The successful candidate will provide in-depth knowledge of play risking methods and tools, project economics evaluations, and modeling of capital projects. This position will have a key role in the Exploration Evaluation Group in leading assessment of conventional prospects and unconventional resource play characterization methods and software. The engineer will utilize best-in-class forecasting applications and practice(s) in working with Apache’s Regional business units in modeling projects. The Engineer will work proactively with Regional and Corporate groups in achieving greater consistency in play characterizations and economic evaluations. The Engineer will advance the EE Group’s effectiveness by identifying innovative solutions to enhance efficiency and speed in data analyses using stochastic tools and methods.
- Assume a key role in conventional prospects and unconventional resource play (UCR) evaluations in supporting Apache’s Regional reservoir engineering and geoscience teams.
- Develop expertise in production surveillance methods in application to liquids-rich tight reservoirs and usage of modern decline-curve analysis methods for forecasting well performance.
- Participate with the EE Group in conducting portfolio analyses of Apache’s suite of exploration opportunities.
- Provide support to Regional engineering and planning groups in characterization of opportunities for inclusion in Apache’s portfolio model (APM). This activity would include application of decision analysis and statistical methods to condition the investment opportunity for proper treatment within the portfolio model.
- Develop a role as a key source for applying methods and tools to treat risk and uncertainty in play characterizations and evaluations. Provide expertise in assessing value of information (VOI) for data gathering, appraisal and piloting programs, for use in capital funding requests.
- Build strong working relationships with Apache’s Regional and Corporate exploration and reservoir engineering teams to facilitate data/information exchange with the EE Group. Mutual trust and confidentiality is essential.
- Develop in-depth knowledge of applications and methods at the center of the EE Group’s core competencies, with the objective of providing training to Apache technologists at the underlying concept level (treatment of risk, uncertainty, play characterization and modeling).
- Develop expertise in Decision Analysis methods (decision tree structuring, framing of alternatives, expert interviewing, …, etc.), to support project teams in framing the evaluation, identifying alternative pathways, defining the decision-sequence, and recognizing the capital-at-risk for the plays.
- Some U.S. domestic and international travel required.